Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Little Things


It's been a month since my last post. I've spent a lot of that time trying to think of what to post next. I was waiting for something deep... but sitting here realized that life isn't about those deep moments. They are good, but not what we feed on. It's really the little things that make life wonderful. The deep moments just help us see the daily better.

I went for a walk this morning. It's coming into summer here. The flowers have been blooming for some time now, taking turns at their annual week in the limelight. The fruit trees have bloomed and given over to full leaf. The first bulbs of spring are going back to sleep until 2010. Azaleas and rhododendrons are in full glory, but it's the summer flowers that are just starting to wake up. Among them is my little rose bush. It's a little Perle d'Or, I think, similar to a Cecil Bruner and oh so fragrant! The flowers are short-lived, but joyful in their existance. I've described them as beautiful buds that sneeze upon opening! They start out petite and dainty then *poof* a pompom of petals.

We bought the plant for $5 at a garage sale last summer. It's the perfect first bush in my life as I prefer the fragrance over the shape. (Though both is always a nice surprise!) It settled in most happily and blooms away during the warmer months. One afternoon last summer, I painted the blossoms in a tiny brass pitcher. The flowers and vase seemed to suit each other so perfectly, but time was my enemy as they started to sniff and snort before the inevitable sneeze! Perhaps it was that pressure combined with the beauty before me that kept my brush recording quickly but accurately and resulted in the freshness of the finished piece. It was a good moment to capture because it is one I need to remember to look for daily--the Tiny Treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment